Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




Screenprinting with Drawing Fluid - Part 1

Over the weekend I finally chose a pattern to try out screenprinting with.

Using a pencil I traced the design onto my screen.

Next I grabbed the smallest paintbrush I could find and started to fill the shapes with drawing fluid. I copied Mon Lapin and painted on the recessed side. This seemed to be the side shown in all my books.

I wasn't sure how thick to paint with the drawing fluid. Some of the shapes I filled in thickly and some thinly so I might be able to see a difference later!? Lena Corwin suggests that painting thinly will enable you to see paintstrokes later. I think my shapes are too small for that but I will soon find out! The areas with thicker drawing fluid took much longer to dry and are slightly raised off the screen.



It was a little monotonous filling in all the shapes. But it was also fairly therapeutic! Just like helping Amelie colour between the lines in her colouring book!

For more information check out these links:

Celestina Carmen - Detailed explanation of using drawing fluid and screen filler.
Mon lapin - Step by step guide to using drawing fluid and screen filler.
Lena Corwin - Printing by Hand: A Modern Guide to Printing with Handmade Stamps, Stencils, and Silk Screens

Comments (2)

Anonymous

October 27, 2008 at 1:38 PM

I can't wait to see how this turns out! I am hoping to get some screenprinting accessories for christmas...hope hope!

Tina

October 27, 2008 at 4:06 PM

Thanks for the link.

I felt the same way about applying the drawing fluid ... monotonous but therapeutic.