Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




Screenprinting with Drawing Fluid - Part 3



This was really a lot of fun. I am definitely hooked.

I started printing with the screen in contact with the fabric and this seemed to work well for me. I am sure though that these results will differ with different inks and fabrics.

I started printing with yellow ink and added red later without washing out the screen. A few of my prints are a mixture of yellow, red and orange and I really like the effect. This is something I want to have a play around with later.

In general the prints came out well. Some were patchy in places due to uneven pressure with the squeegee or too little ink. A couple of the shapes were not totally intact. They obviously still had traces of screen filler.



The yellow ink was much more forgiving than the red ink! It was a slightly thinner consistency and made the berry shapes look more rounded.


A disadvantage of using drawing fluid is that it is hard to get crisp edges. But I have to say that I like the resulting prints. I am planning to make these into the backing of a quilt for our bed. I like the unevenness of the prints as I think they will add character to the backing fabric. In any case they will be a fond reminder for me of my first printing effort!

All in all a lot of fun and luckily for me Hanna slept through the whole thing. Including washing up the screen afterwards. I was afraid that she might wake up mid print which would have been a disaster as you have to work quickly.

Now I can't wait to have another go!

Great sites to check out:


Comments (4)

Tina

October 30, 2008 at 3:32 PM

I had a laugh because when I print, I'm hoping my boys don't wake up too!

Are you using Speedball ink? How do you like it?

Here is a link to a picture of my exposure unit ... http://celestinacarmen.blogspot.com/2008/04/exposure.html

Tina

October 30, 2008 at 3:33 PM

This comment has been removed by the author.

Tina

October 30, 2008 at 3:36 PM

I keep trying to paste the link and it's not showing it right. Just use the link above and add .html to the end. Hope that works.

sue bulmer

October 31, 2008 at 11:26 PM

Hi Natasha

You are tagged!! Hope you don't mind, looking ofrward to hearing your 7 random things