Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




Never Enough Polka Dots

I love using polka dot fabric in children's quilts and since I usually only use small pieces for the odd blocks here and there I thought why not print some of my own.

I printed out a block of dots and drew them onto my screen using drawing fluid. After it was dry I squeegeed the screen filler across the screen - only 1 swipe this time! (Only swiping once made a huge difference when it came to washing out the drawing fluid)


This was also a good project to test printing on different fabrics. On some fabrics the ink bled a little and the polka dots grew in size. But I am very happy with the prints and have already cut some to size for yet another quilt! I am swimming in half finished quilts at the moment. My goal for the rest of November is to finish off what I have started. The problem is I keep thinking of what I want to do next.

Comments (4)

Anonymous

November 18, 2008 at 2:13 PM

Printing your own polka dot fabric? Brilliant!
I understand that not finishing what you start problem...I'm always thinking of the next thing I want to make!

Tina

November 18, 2008 at 5:16 PM

Look good. How long did it take to draw all those dots on the screen?

A Spoonful Of Sugar

November 19, 2008 at 3:00 AM

Love the dots!! The best part about printing you own polka dots is that they won't look totally uniform which adds loads more charm to a project. Brilliant idea.

{kimmymade}

November 29, 2008 at 12:22 PM

Nice work! I love it!