Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




Thermofax Robots

At the same time I ordered the thermofax screen with the car, train, lorry, digger and bus I also ordered a screen to be made with my robots which I posted about here.



I have had more problems printing with this screen than the other screen. There are many fine lines close together as well as text. A lot of the time the ink is bleeding from one line to the other.
I guess this is either because I am using too much ink or the ink is too runny.
When I try to use less ink I usually end up with parts of the image not printing.
I think this is more to do with uneven pressure. I find it very difficult to get even pressure with the squeegee used with a thermofax screen.
I have got some good prints though. But I am a little frustrated!

Comments (5)

Christina Lowry

November 20, 2008 at 11:40 AM

I'm glad you got some good prints, as your robots are very cute! I can only imagine your frustration. It must be really disappointing when the prints keep misbehaving. I may know soon enough - when I get my gocco. Waited all day today hoping for it to come, but alas it did not. Googled gocco and found out heaps more cool stuff and also scary stuff, like posts titled "I hate my gocco". We may be able to be frustrated together! :)

Anonymous

November 20, 2008 at 12:18 PM

Sorry about the frustration! I hope you can figure it out - those robots are so fun!

Tina

November 20, 2008 at 5:19 PM

It can be so frustrating when things don't go the way you want. I've had this problem when I use speedball ink (which is on the thinner side). Try letting the ink sit for a few minutes to thicken up, before you print.

I can't remember how many passes I normally did when I squeegee with those screens. I think 2 or more might cause bleeding too. Good luck.

IamSusie

November 25, 2008 at 4:52 PM

I can see the problems you are having but that design is fantastic! So cute!

susan

December 4, 2008 at 6:00 AM

oh your robots are so cute!!