Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




Goose Bumps

This week I have been having a taster of what it is like to have 3 little girls under 3! Phew! By the end of the week I needed to lie in a dark quiet corner for a few minutes! I don't know how people do it with 3 kids so close together. It has certainly made me think if (and I mean IF) we try for a third child it has to be when Hanna is much older!



Anyway by the end of the week all I was fit for was sewing along the dotted line. The Block of the Month (BOM) from Twiddletails was a perfect fit. This months block is called Goose Bumps and is straightforward.



I am trying to use only scraps for this project. I have a box load of scraps in pink, red, orange and yellow. Perfect for a quilt for Amelie's room. I am using an old thrifted white sheet as well which I hope will be enough!



Some of the blocks I paper pieced and some I just pieced. I have to say that I had much better results paper piecing and I do like that method better. It is just that freezer paper is like gold dust here and I really don't want to use it unless I have to! Anyone know where to get your hands on it in Europe (or even better the UK or Germany?) Or would anyone like to do a swap?

Comments (12)

Locket Pocket

February 23, 2009 at 12:40 PM

Your blocks are looking great! You can get freezer paper over here in the UK now. I know of two places offhand, the first is Hobbycraft where they will sell it by the box I think and the other is http://www.thefatquarters.co.uk/ where you can get it in various amounts from 1 metre upwards.

I love it and use it all the time for doll making.

Hope these links will be useful.

Lucy x

Holly

February 23, 2009 at 2:04 PM

I love your colour scheme! I'm yet to start Feb's block but I've been tossing and turning colours over in my mind anyway so probably best I haven't started yet.

My paper piecing technique doesn't involve ironing freezer paper to the material, so you can use any kind of paper you want! I use kitchen paper, so it's thinner than printer paper and easier on the needle and easier to tear away at the end. I'll try and do a tutorial after March if you're interested :)

~Holly

http://twocheeseplease.livejournal.com

Anonymous

February 23, 2009 at 2:59 PM

These are beautiful! I need to get on my squares, but I have to get some fabric together.
I'm with you - too many little ones all together is so hard! My three youngest sibs are a year and a half apart and then a year and a half apart...my parents were lucky because there were older sibs to help out (mostly me), but good grief, what work! And you never got to really enjoy their different discoveries because they were too close together.

Anonymous

February 23, 2009 at 5:09 PM

Very pretty. I'll have to look into this. I don't know how people get anything done with wee kids. I'm selfish though and like "MY" time.

Kitty

February 23, 2009 at 8:06 PM

Love your bumpy geese! x

RunwithSticks

February 23, 2009 at 9:26 PM

The blocks look great! What is it with the word "goose bumps" that makes me feel like I have them? lol I can't imagine 3 under 3 :| I have a friend who has 2 that are 14 months apart and even that seems scary to me.

Mushyhed

February 23, 2009 at 10:26 PM

Your blocks look great! I have been anti-paper piecing until yesterday when I tried the spiderweb quilt block. It was so easy. I may try this one too. It's really cute!

Anonymous

February 24, 2009 at 2:17 AM

I can get freezer paper here (I used it for printing cotton in the printer, not paper piecing, I still need to learn that technique). Anyway enough rambling. If you'd like a swap I'll send you some freezer paper, just let me know how much you want . I need to go get some for me anyway :-)

The Rausch's

February 24, 2009 at 3:33 PM

Your blocks look great! I can't decide either what I want to make for Bee Inspired. I want it to be fabulous, and I get too nervous to make a firm decision! :)

bebebunting

February 24, 2009 at 4:56 PM

Hello!
I've just discovered that the paper which is used to wrap computer paper works in the same way as freezer paper. I'm going to ask my husband to bring it home from work (can't at the moment we're on hols) as they only throw it away. If he can get his hands on some I'll send you some!
P
BTW I still have the man at the deli give me free bits, although he doesn't know what its called!!

Mrs Moog

February 25, 2009 at 11:09 PM

Your blocks are gorgeous! I've never tried paper piecing - sounds scary to me!!

I think some pretty sewing is the perfect way to recover from an overabundance of small people :-)

xxx

John

March 3, 2009 at 8:10 PM

why don't you ask all of your "bee inspired" peeps to include a box of freezer paper with their mailings to you ... maybe in exchange for making extra blocks or something ...

ps. i have three kids under the age of 5 ... 4 year-old twin girls and a son that followed 18 months later. at one point, we had 3 under the age of 2. craziness!