Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




Amelie's Horse Quilt


I started this quilt for Amelie last year sometime when she told me she absolutely had to have a horse quilt! I set to work immediately but got somewhat sidetracked!

I made up the blocks as I went along. There are a couple of improvised blocks, a couple of bento box blocks and a couple of other scrappy blocks. It was great fun to make with all my scraps!
The backing comes from an old duvet cover I found in a flea market. It just matched so perfectly the colours in the quilt and is so cheery. To make it fit the quilt I added a couple of rows of half square triangles. The same as the top and bottom borders on the front of the quilt. I almost like it more than the front of the quilt - almost!
The quilt is very plump and cuddly as I used a high loft batting. I love it and can't wait to snuggle up in it as it is soooooo cold here at the moment. We had yet MORE snow today. But that is a different story.
I quilted it in "straight" lines with the feed dogs down. I reckoned that since it was an improv type quilt that wonkily straight lines would suit the quilt better than clinically straight lines.

Roll on bedtime!!!!!!!!

Comments (18)

RosaMarĂ­a

January 21, 2010 at 7:28 PM

wow! that is a really beautiful patchwork!! love the quilting and all those fabrics together! great job!

Locket Pocket

January 21, 2010 at 7:56 PM

What a beautiful, beautiful quilt! I love it! Lucy xxx

Purple Paisley Patch

January 21, 2010 at 7:57 PM

I've already told you how much I love this quilt, but I just wanted to add that I love the back too, it complements the front perfectly and is so bright and cheerful. Great job Tasha!
Hugs
Kelly :-)

Unknown

January 21, 2010 at 10:00 PM

great !
nothing more to say....

Donna

January 21, 2010 at 11:07 PM

What a gorgeous quilt! I love how you used the unicorn fabric, and the colors are just delicious.

Lisa

January 22, 2010 at 12:12 AM

I really love this!

Christina Lowry

January 22, 2010 at 12:57 AM

How fantastic! The colours are awesome and so are the different blocks. When I saw the words 'horse quilt' I was expecting something else entirely. But this is definitely one of my favorite quilts you have made, as well as the one you made for Cohen of course! :)

maria

January 22, 2010 at 11:15 AM

Brilliant quilt. The colours look great together.

Muriel

January 22, 2010 at 11:34 AM

What a wonderful quilt! I love the colors and the different horse fabrics! Good job!

Dena

January 22, 2010 at 12:23 PM

Love this quilt. I really like how you quilted it and all the improv blocks. Glad to see that you are posting again as I love everything you put together. Thanks Tasha.

Dena

RunwithSticks

January 23, 2010 at 8:44 PM

It's lovely! The colours are beautiful :)

Valerie

January 28, 2010 at 3:35 AM

This quilt was love at first sight for me! Hope it's okay -- I've decided to use it as my inspiration for my quilting bee. February is my month, and I'm sending out the Heather Ross Mendocino fabrics (mermaids) and asking the rest of the gals to come up with blocks using this quilt as their inspiration. Your quilt is just so lovely! :)

Unknown

February 3, 2010 at 5:16 PM

this is amazing! So beautiful

One Flew Over

February 18, 2010 at 2:28 AM

This quilt is AMAZING!

Mona Lisa

February 19, 2010 at 2:30 AM

Wow very lovely !!!

Danielle

February 25, 2010 at 2:53 AM

I love this quilt - the backing too and the improv blocks and the quilting !! it's hard to quilt straight lines with the feed dogs down!

Marianna

March 3, 2010 at 3:54 AM

This quilt is lovely. Beautifully designed.

Anonymous

September 16, 2010 at 8:13 AM

Love the quilting.