Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




Calendar Quilt



Just before heading off to Chile I signed up for the Calendar Quilt hosted by Rachel from p.s. I quilt.

The idea is to make a strip quilt and add a strip every day of the year. Or at least add 365 strips, whether or not you do it every day is up to you. This is a great idea but I can't quite decide how to approach it.

I can't decide whether to make a quilt that I will actually use or a journal of my work over the year.

I would like to make Amelie a new quilt for her bed. I have an idea which would suit strip quilting. But it would have nothing "calendar" about it except making it slowly over the year.

On the other hand I am thinking about making 12 mini quilts using strips of fabric that I have used in projects each month. At the end of the year I will be able to see which fabrics I was more drawn to and need to restock, and which colours feature more prominently in my work.

I could also practise different quilting techniques on these mini quilts.

I am leaning more towards the journal type approach although it is not going to end up as a complete quilt at the end.

What do you think?

Comments (5)

Unknown

January 26, 2009 at 8:54 AM

how about using the journal idea, and making 12 blocks, then using the quilt as you go method combine them to make one quilt?

Anonymous

January 26, 2009 at 4:38 PM

That is a really nice idea - going with journaling your monthly projects by using the fabric scraps for each individual month, and then binding the months together.
Wow - I really need to figure out quilting.

Simone de Klerk

January 26, 2009 at 6:54 PM

So you joined the calendar quilt challenge too! I am making mine with stripes. It's going to be a very big quilt in the end I think! I like your mini quilt idea! It sounds very good. That would be so different.
Yes, vliesofix is fusible web. There are so many different names for it in so many languages ...
Nice meeting you! I enjoyed going through your blog (O:

Holly

January 27, 2009 at 2:30 AM

I definitely like the journal idea for sure! It might not end up uniform but then you'll always remember it, and some quilts are meant to be just for show and some quilts you pour your heart and soul into.

~Holly

http://twocheeseplease.livejournal.com

Mrs Moog

February 2, 2009 at 3:14 PM

What a great challenge! I like Katy's idea for making the journal quilts into a bigger quilt.

Look forward to seeing your quilt!

xxx