Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




A good craftswoman doesn't blame her tools....

but wow what a difference a good squeegee makes! I thought I was just rubbish at screenprinting but it turns out that with the squeegee that NEHOC sent with my lovely Gocco machine, I am a screeprinting wizard! Well, I might be exaggerating a little but the ratio of good prints to duds has significantly improved. I could quite happily have printed all weekend.



It was also my birthday at the weekend and my lovely husband bought me some Japanese craft books which I have been coveting for a while. I wasn't able to sleep last night and I think it was because my brain was whirring with all the new inspiration! You can tell I don't get out very often.

This is one of my favourite books.



Story Quilt. ISBN 978 - 4-391-13331-8



Unlike most Japanese craft books it is not a how to book but a wonderful coffee table book featuring the beautiful work of TAKAHARA, Yukari. Her work is quite spectacular. The detail in the applique. Mind boggling. I would love to have the patience to make something like that but the fiddliness would drive me crazy, so I am content to stare in wonder.



There are some rudimentary explanations of how to go about creating your own applique picture along with some outlines of girls and furniture which I am very tempted to use as embroidery patterns. I highly recommend this book. It is just wonderful.



Comments (8)

Unknown

March 18, 2009 at 8:07 AM

that is a wonderful book. I'm going to add it to the wish list, maybe I could have it for christmas!

(oh - the word verification thingy today is STASH. Maybe that's a sign. Maybe we should go shopping?)

Kitty

March 18, 2009 at 11:39 AM

A belated happy birthday! That looks a wonderful book - I could while away many an hour looking at pretties like that.

Your printing looks fabulous - really good. Hooray for squeegies! x

Anonymous

March 18, 2009 at 3:55 PM

Happy Belated Birthday, Tacha!! You should have given us some warning!

First, your prints are adorable. How wonderful it is to just switch tools and have things get *easier*. Love that.

Your book looks so amazing. I am seriously thinking about learning some Japanese in my (copious) free time because I want to figure out my books!!! So many beautiful ideas.

RunwithSticks

March 18, 2009 at 4:01 PM

Happy belated birthday! I am in awe of your screenprinting process. I used to do it in University but all by hand (shooting the image onto a screen in a dark room, mixing the inks etc.) I was so excited to hear on your blog there is a way to do it at home.

Locket Pocket

March 18, 2009 at 5:59 PM

Happy Birthday!!! As I started reading your post I was composing my comment in my mind along the lines of how much I adore your Gocco printing - it is truly fabulous! And then you went and showed that book too - so the combination of gorgeousness has me completely ga-ga!

Ooooooooooooooooooooooh!

That's the general gist of my comment today!

Lucy x

A Spoonful Of Sugar

March 18, 2009 at 10:23 PM

Best wishes for your birthday! Love the story quilt book - thanks for sharing the beautiful images.

Anonymous

March 19, 2009 at 1:52 AM

Happy Birthday!!!! Good thing I added a little something to your parcel of freezer paper :-)

Mushyhed

March 19, 2009 at 3:17 AM

Happy belated birthday Tasha! Love your birthday presents and really love your screenprinting!