Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




Scratch and Sniff Quilts



Have you seen DMC's Secret Perfume embroidery floss? I read about it here and I just can't get it out of my head.

This is the blurb.

The "Flower Bouquet” includes fresh fragrances such as Rose, Lavender, Lily of the Valley and Honeysuckle. The "Tutti-Frutti" includes tangy scents including lemon, orange, apple and strawberry. And the "Delicacies" includes delicious aromas such as vanilla, almond, caramel and chocolate.

It reminds me of scratch and sniff stickers that were all the rage when I was at school. We used to scratch those stickers to death. There was one particular brand, forgotten now which one, that was particularly good. I think in the end they were banned. Probably highly toxic.

Anyhoo, back to these threads. Does that mean that your embroidery will reek of chocolate, caramel etc?

Comments (6)

Unknown

March 24, 2009 at 10:23 AM

That is just plain weird. Grace got a chocolate scented bear once, it was disgusting - it didn't smell like chocolate, and she had to get rid of it because the smell was making her feel sick. lol.

I think those threads are going to get stuck in my head now too....

Anonymous

March 24, 2009 at 3:24 PM

They'll make anything these days won't they?

I remember wanting Strawberry Shortcake so bad as a kid, and now the thought of the smell makes me a wee queasy.

Donna

March 24, 2009 at 4:05 PM

Those things rarely smell like what they are supposed to, in my opinion. And what if the colors you need don't have coordinating smells? Or maybe you just use one of the smelly ones.

RunwithSticks

March 24, 2009 at 4:42 PM

Very interesting. My first thought is wouldn't the smell wash out in the wash? And scratch n sniff stickers were banned? How did I not know that?

Jacqui

March 25, 2009 at 1:55 AM

That's kind of odd I'd say. I can't imagine the smells would be that nice if they had to be engineered to last on cotton thread, and that then makes me wonder what the heck they use to make the smell stick! Nasty chemicals no doubt.

I remember those scratch 'n sniff stickers too, they were quite the rage. Along with scented erasers.

Sara

March 26, 2009 at 11:23 AM

I am with Katy and Jacqui....that just seems a bit odd to me. But, who knows, it might be cool.

I really like the little birds in your earlier post....may have to adapt that idea for a mini.

Thanks for commenting on my blog!