Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




Viv's Block



These are the fabrics that Viv, from Highway Cottage, sent me for her block in the Cottage Quilting Bee. Very different to what I usually use. In fact, I have hardly any black in my stash at all. Something that I need to remedy.

Viv printed images onto fabric using her computer printer. The image I received was fantastic quality. I think she used freezer paper to run the fabric through the printer. Something I am going to have to try. I have used freezer paper to print on brown packing paper but not to print on fabric. I am not sure how the image will handle being washed. Viv's quilt is going to be a wall hanging so that isn't an issue, but I have heard there is a solution that the fabric can be soaked in that makes it permanent. Definitely something to keep in mind for future projects.

Viv's quilt is all about Emily the Strange. I had never come across her before but have since googled her and have found out how all over the place she is! How come I never came across her before? The image I received is of Emily's four cats, Mystery, Miles, Sabbath and Neechee. Each is also represented by a symbol.



Viv told us to go wild and that we could embellish if we wanted. She also told us that the image didn't necessarily have to take centre stage. So I decided that this was the perfect opportunity to do stuff I don't usually do on a quilt block! Hopefully Viv likes it!



I added some red and black and white polka dot fabric, mounted the image on some frayed white fabric and divided the block into three sections with ric rac.



Lots of deliberately wonky embroidery stitches, some plain buttons and some stripy buttons that I embroidered with the symbols that represent the cats.

Comments (14)

Dallas

March 4, 2009 at 6:08 PM

I've always wondered how fabric printed in a printer turns out. It looks to be really high quality. The quilt block turned out great.

Kitty

March 4, 2009 at 6:08 PM

Wow - that's fabulous. It's really good to step out of your comfort zone now and again isn't it? I'm sure Viv is going to love it. x

Unknown

March 4, 2009 at 6:27 PM

GASP! I'm speechless - now if that isn't Viv's favourite block, then there's something wrong with her!!!

Anonymous

March 4, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Wow! That's all I can say. These fabrics are letting out people's wild side I think. I love the embroidery on this block.

Tina

Anonymous

March 4, 2009 at 9:47 PM

That is going to be my kind of quilt! I love the Emily series, and those are such great colours - I wouldn't have thought of making it mine like that.
Love the frayed look and those buttons are ace!

Mushyhed

March 4, 2009 at 11:06 PM

Oh my goodness, I can't stop looking at this block! It's AMAZING!!

Anonymous

March 5, 2009 at 1:31 AM

I'm still freaking out everytime i see this block, it's so good. I have plans, to open a wee quilting studio (as we are on a main highway), so this quilt (or two if i split the blocks) will take pride of place on the walls, not for sale. I cannot believe how awesome this quilt is turning out. Tacha, it's awesome!!!!!!!

Lisa

March 5, 2009 at 3:34 AM

That is terrific!

Unknown

March 5, 2009 at 2:18 PM

Your block is amazing. And as I said at flickr, puts mine to shame. LOL :) Great job. I enjoyed your flickr stream last night too. :)

Anonymous

March 5, 2009 at 9:00 PM

This is wonderful. I keep putting mine off...the ideas just aren't flowing.

Joanne

March 7, 2009 at 2:42 PM

Natasha, I received your lovely parcel this morning, thank you so much the children loved there parcels, the chocolate didn't last long so there won't be any photo's of that for blogging. Your a very talented lady I love your prints and i look forward to using them.

Hope your having a good weekend

Joanne.

Kritta22

March 8, 2009 at 1:58 AM

You are so creative!!

Hopping over from our bee inspired!

Hi!!

Christina Lowry

March 12, 2009 at 6:14 AM

I love this, my favourite solours! I have an 'Emily the Strange' handbag, and a pair of shorts and socks too! There is a cool shop near me that sells her stuff (Gold Coast, Au), and we also found a shop while we were in Glasgow that was selling it! Do they have it in Germany? :)

Christina Lowry

March 12, 2009 at 6:15 AM

opps... solours is colours!!