Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




DQS6

You can imagine my excitement when I saw this on a package delivered yesterday.



Inside was the most fantastic quilt from Monika (monaw2008). I am absolutely bowled over by this quilt. And get this - it is the first quilt she has made! Can you believe that! I certainly can't and I can't wait to see her making many more. I had already been following Monika's work on flickr so I am soooo happy to have one of her pieces in person. And she also included a lovely pincushion and some chocolate - yummy!



There are so many things that I love about this quilt. The simple quilting lines so neatly done.



The labels on the back. I adore the way she put her name with raw edge applique and apparently her son made the picture label.



The DQS6 group on Flickr had agreed to post pictures of themselves with the quilts and when I told Amelie that I needed a picture of me and the quilt she was insistent on taking the photo herself. I have to say she is a natural. None of the photos she took were blurred. She managed to get my head in 90% of them and even Hanna too. But I did have to keep telling her to make sure Mummy was in the picture and not just the sky and to keep her finger on the button! I have to say a fantastic job for a 3 year old!



I have to admit that I knew all along which quilt I was going to send to my partner. It is just I didn't want to send it! I had fallen in love with the birds and circles and just couldn't bring myself to part with it. So I decided enough with procrastinating and made a second one! Oh and I went with binding in the brown fabric with white flowers.



Once the second was made I was able to package up the first and send it on its way to Susi from Daveandsusi.



Amelie was having decidedly more fun as the photographer rather than as the model.

It has been great to get to know another German quilter and I am already signed up to make a block for Susi's Show and Tell quilt. You never know maybe we can even organise a European quilting bee! That would be fun.

The tea quilt is also almost finished. Just need to embroider the face and some steam from the cup.

Comments (13)

Anonymous

April 23, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Wow! These quilts are amazing! Hard to believe that it was her first quilt - it's so beautiful! And I am of course just in awe of yours - that tea quilt is my favourite!
And Amelie is so cute! Aaak! Adorable, and what a class photographer - you're not even blurry!

Kitty

April 23, 2009 at 3:46 PM

ALL those quilts are absolutely beautiful - what gorgeous work. x

Zonnah

April 23, 2009 at 4:17 PM

All of those quilts are amazing!

Donna

April 23, 2009 at 5:22 PM

What a charming collection of quilts! I like how she did the piecework around just two sides instead of the entire border

A Spoonful Of Sugar

April 24, 2009 at 3:41 AM

What lovely quilts both sent and received! Swaps are such fun.

susan

April 24, 2009 at 6:46 AM

such a awesome quilt you rec'd. i am shocked it was her first. such workmanship. your quilts you made where some of my faves! addicting, isnt it??

Anonymous

April 24, 2009 at 3:34 PM

Tacha - thank you! My mum just told me that she got your gift and she just loves it (actually she sent me a long email telling me about it but forgot to tell me who it was from so I just called her and got the info!). She said the bag is just lovely and the to do lists are perfect for her. You're the best!

Elise

April 24, 2009 at 6:29 PM

Oh my! The quilts are truly amazing! I can't believe that was her first. xx

Anonymous

April 24, 2009 at 7:10 PM

I love the pictures with your little girl! I always pass up the doll quilts because my little guy wouldn't appreciate it as much as I.

I love the colors in yours.

Locket Pocket

April 24, 2009 at 8:45 PM

Everyone of those quilts is incredible! Both the one you received and the ones you made yourself - how I wish I had as much talent!

Lucy x

P.S. Great photos too!!!

Anonymous

April 25, 2009 at 12:29 PM

Wow you lucky girl!! I was admiring this little piece of art in Monikas photostream I just love everything she does!

duckyhouse

April 25, 2009 at 7:24 PM

gorgeous quilts!! I love them all!

jmb_craftypickle

June 17, 2009 at 3:08 AM

What fun quilts!! I love the one you received and also the one you gave, but what I especially love are the pictures of you and your cutie with them both!