Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




Better late than never

Do you remember this quilt? I didn't know how to finish it off and asked for your advice. Well I finally decided that I needed to make room in my WIP box.



I decided to go with a wide white border, pieced border and orange gingham binding. Thanks Katy and Holly for your good ideas.

I just love this quilt. I backed it with fleece so that it is extra warm. I know very important now that it is Spring. But we will appreciate it once Winter comes again and lets face it the North European summer is not exactly reliably hot.



There are no designer fabrics in this quilt and very few new fabrics. I used mostly reused fabrics from bedcovers, sheets and scraps that I have picked up at the local flea markets. I also used a lot of my screenprinted robots, vehicles and polka dots. In each of the corners there is a single robot. I used a piece of paper to block off the majority of the screen and then printed single robots.Have I mentioned that I love it?



I kept the quilting very simple. Just diagonally across each of the squares and then lines on the pieced border. Getting the tension right through the quilt and the fleece was a little problematic and I have to admit that I had to step away from the quilt on a couple of occasions!



Right on to the next WIP!

Comments (8)

Sarah C

April 22, 2009 at 10:05 AM

Wow! I really love how your quilt turned out. The quilting on it is just perfect. I really like using fleece on the back of a quilt. It is just so warm and cuddly.

I really like that you didnt use any new fabrics - goes to show that you can make something with a big impact using what you already have.

Anonymous

April 22, 2009 at 10:29 AM

Good for you getting WIPs done! I have so much waiting to be done...
I really love that quilt - the colours are just right, and I love that you used fleece on the back - so cozy!

Anonymous

April 22, 2009 at 11:16 AM

It lokks lovely, and warm too. Things are starting to get cold here :-)

Who needs designer fabrics? (although they are nice), i think the colours are great!

Elise

April 22, 2009 at 6:40 PM

The quilt is perfect. The fleece back is a good idea! I'm starting my own soon. Grandmama agreed to help. Her exact words were "I could just make you one. It would save you time. Not to mention my nerves." I love her confidence in me! I'll show her your blog for ideas, if you don't mind xx

Unknown

April 22, 2009 at 7:34 PM

I love it, you've done a fantastic job!
We must be thinking of the same thing - I am determined to get my wips sorted out before i tackle anything new.

Kitty

April 22, 2009 at 8:02 PM

Oh golly gosh ... that is delicious! I think recycled fabrics are sometimes nicer - softer, bendier, fluffier. That quilt will be gorgeous to snuggle under. x

Mushyhed

April 23, 2009 at 1:08 AM

I love this quilt! Sometimes the best quilts are ones with recycle materials. They are softer and usually have a lot of good memories attached to it! oooh a fleece back... super soft!

susan

April 24, 2009 at 6:50 AM

this quilt turned out so pretty. your robots and the robot fabric are just too sweet for words. i love robots!!
that pieced border is scrumptious. and good for you getting rid of a wip!and i think there is nothing wrong with using recycled fabrics....thats what quilts are for, right?