Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




A Modern Pinwheel



Goodness me how time flies. I have been meaning to write this for a couple of days but somehow have never found the time. My littlest is testing her boundaries every way she can and goodness me that is tiring. I have also been working feverishly on some rows for the Row Robin Swap I am in. To be honest I think I might be losing my sewing mojo! Too much in too little time. I might just have to step away from the sewing machine for a little while!

Anyway whilst it is still somewhat fresh in my mind the second theme for May`s STUD swap was "Twisted Traditional". After umming and ahhing for quite a while I decided to try and make a modern pinwheel. To twist the original I pieced each of the triangles making up the pinwheel. I was going to use different prints and go for an eye spy type pinwheel but I thought that might look a bit of a mess. The solids turned out very striking and I think also make it easier to determine the pinwheel shape despite the piecing. To further twist the original I made all the triangles different sizes and shapes.

Comments (11)

Donna

June 4, 2009 at 12:01 AM

love the wonky pinwheel!

A Spoonful Of Sugar

June 4, 2009 at 12:52 AM

Very effective!! Mini's are a great way to try ouot new techniques.

Christina Lowry

June 4, 2009 at 11:42 AM

Natasha I am pretty sure you are the mini quilt queen! When are you going to hold your own mini quilt swap?! I will be in on it for sure! :)

PS. Thanks for the comments and sorry I have been to slow in replying! Cohen is good now, but it was scary waiting at the hospital and not knowing what was wrong, but I'm sure febrile convulsions would be scarier. Cohen sends the girls hugs! :)

Anonymous

June 5, 2009 at 1:56 PM

I really like that - the colours are so bright and happy. I'm sure the weather warming up and getting sunny doesn't help the sewing mojo...I know I'm finding myself outdoors so much more now...it'll come back, just need the right inspiration (and the time!).

Anonymous

June 6, 2009 at 7:03 AM

Wow that's gorgeous. My little one has been telling me he doesn't like me all the time...it sure is tiring.

Beth

June 7, 2009 at 4:07 AM

Oh, I love your wonky little pinwheel! such a great choice of colors too!

Mrs Moog

June 8, 2009 at 12:47 PM

It's lovely - gorgeous colours!

If I had half your sewing mojo at the moment I'd be happy!

Elise

June 8, 2009 at 6:23 PM

I love the colours. So contemporary! Can I ask a very difficult question? Exactly how many quilts in total have you made in your life?

xx

Anonymous

June 11, 2009 at 10:44 AM

Stop! please, whatever you do, do not lose that mojo!!!
Your pinwheel is a modern classic, heart it all, the quilting is such a delicious feature too!!!

One Flew Over

June 14, 2009 at 1:06 PM

This pnwheel and the quilting is stunning!

A Spoonful Of Sugar

June 14, 2009 at 1:10 PM

Can't wait to see how your Row Robin is going!!