Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




Sew Kid at Heart Bee

Yep I just couldn't help myself. I joined another quilting bee. Though this one is slightly different. We all send our fabric out at the beginning and have a year to make all the blocks. I think this is a great idea as it is everybody's turn at once. But we are yet to see what happens when we try and track who has made what for whom and what the status of each quilt is! I can only hope we all manage to keep on top of it all.

Anyhoo I totally underestimated how long it would take for me to put together the fabric packs to send out. And I didn't realise (silly me) that Amelie would want to be involved. We have spent days knee deep in fabric deciding what goes with what and which fabrics Amelie likes the most. Anything with flowers, horses, spots and stripes apparently! Anything yellow or pink is always a winner too. And every time that Amelie and me had sorted out a pile, Hanna had carried it off to another part of the room.

But now I think I have it sorted and I hope I have included oodles of fabric for everyone. It certainly felt like I was cutting for at least 4 quilts!

What I am thinking is to have a quilt made up of mini stars, squares, rectangles and pieced animals. Does this make any sense to anyone? I have a blurry image in my head and am hoping when the blocks come in it will all begin to fall into place!

The patterns for the pieced animals come from this book. I bought it eons ago and then got scared off by all the inset seams that the patterns have. But there are some cute pieced patterns for animals so I sat down and worked out how to eliminate the inset seams.

Mari (Midland Design) sent a wonderful selection of greys, blacks, oranges and turquoises. She is making a monster quilt for her daughter and asked us to make monster blocks. This was great fun! But Amelie was quite happy to package them up and post them to Mari. I did explain to her that they were nice monsters but they had to always be at the bottom of my sewing box.




I did a mixture of machine and raw edge applique and added some felt and buttons.

Kris aka(Skovy) wanted some bugs for her blocks.



If you want to make bugs like these there are a whole load of patterns here. This block is bug number 14.



This bug is one I made myself. As Mari says it looks as though he should be in jail.

Ariel sent the most delicious selection of fabric strips. She wanted a spiderweb blog and pointed us in the direction of this tutorial. So easy. I am in love with this already and so want to make a spiderweb quilt.

Comments (6)

Barb

June 30, 2009 at 3:59 PM

Your monster blocks are stunning! What a fun quilting bee...but where do you find the time? :)

Tina

June 30, 2009 at 5:10 PM

Cute monsters.

RunwithSticks

June 30, 2009 at 5:40 PM

Those are wonderful! The Monsters take the cake :)

Christina Lowry

July 1, 2009 at 1:27 AM

Great idea for a quilting bee. Best of luck to everyone.

The monsters are soooo cute. Poor Amelie. Monsters don't like pink and yellow, so maybe that's why they couldn't be friends?

I want to make a spiderweb quilt too. I just love them. I have seen some great really old ones on the net somewhere.
:)

A Spoonful Of Sugar

July 1, 2009 at 4:05 AM

Love teh monster blocks - so bright and colourful!

Anonymous

July 2, 2009 at 12:03 AM

I love those monsters! We've been doing a great deal of monster drawing - nice monsters of course - and will hopefully make some monster dolls before the summer is out. How cute that Amélile needed them at the bottom of the sewing box!