Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




June STUD Texture

The theme for June's STUD swap was texture. I originally had plans of trying smocking or tucking or gathering, but these quickly fizzled out as my first attempt just looked a mess and I was running out of time.



Instead I decided to try a technique that I have had in the back of my mind for ages. I got the idea from this book (can't remember now if I bought it or if it was a gift).

What I did was take a piece of plain fabric and cover it with fusible webbing and then stick lots of scraps on top until the fabric is covered. After ironing in place I then used my machine to sew all over the fabric to secure. I used both running stitch and some of the decorative stitches my machine has.



Then I cut it up and made this quilt.



Adding in a bit of ric rac some and some buttons for a bit of extra texture.



Susi (my STUD partner) sent me a wonderful quilt.



See the shell in the net, all the bubble buttons and the mendocino mermaid. Isn't it great! Thank you so much Susi.



Amelie says a big thank you for all your well wishes (and I do too!). She has decided she wants to stay at home until the plaster comes off. So she is now my official sewing helper!

Comments (3)

Christina Lowry

July 3, 2009 at 5:23 AM

Wow! What a fantastic idea. It looks so effective. You always manage to surprise and amaze me! Poor Amelie. Hope her arm is feeling better. Cohen sends hugs. Broken bones seems to be a part of growing up, doesn't it? But it doesn't make it any less scary or painful! :)

A Spoonful Of Sugar

July 5, 2009 at 3:10 PM

What a great technique - it looks so effective! The mermaid quilt is gorgeous.

Anonymous

July 8, 2009 at 12:18 AM

I love the idea! Super cute trade too.