Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




A quilt for me!



I have totally fallen in love with a quilt in this book.

But nobody else in this house likes it. Amelie simply doesn't like black. "Oh Mummy why are you wearing such ugly clothes?" is her confidence inspiring comment whenever I dare to wear a black top. Hanna follows her sister's lead. Luis hummed and hahhed and said "It's not your usual taste". So I know full well he hates it.

So this quilt is for ME! I love it and I am going to make it regardless. But instead of the Double Bed size I was contemplating I have decided to make a snuggle up on the sofa size.



I've made 3 of the blocks so far. But I am not sure I can include this one! I think I was still smarting by the lack of enthusiasm in my family ;-)



I think the family will probably prefer the blocks I just made for Holly for the ten make two Bee.



She is making a rainbow spiderweb with monochromatic spiderwebs. I am in love with it already. I can't wait to see it take shape, it is certainly going to be a stunner.

Comments (8)

Anonymous

January 12, 2010 at 1:35 PM

Go make it!!!!!
Your family will come round to your way of thinking in the end!!!!!

Purple Paisley Patch

January 12, 2010 at 1:58 PM

I'm sure the family will like it plenty when it comes time to snuggling under it on the couch.
That's when you can say "away with you, this is mine, all mine. You didn't like it remember?" LOL ;-)
The spideys you made for Holly are lovely, such a great selection of fabric.

Crafty Maine Mom

January 12, 2010 at 3:23 PM

I love it! That square should be placed prominently in the center. Let them wonder about not having you around.

We all need to be appreciated a little more. The blacks in the quilt really make the other colors jump out.

machen und tun

January 12, 2010 at 3:58 PM

it looks great, please make that quilt, your family will love it, too!!
so brave to use black, it is/looks very dramatic.

Locket Pocket

January 12, 2010 at 8:54 PM

Those spiderweb blocks are fabulous! And I love, love, LOVE that newspaper print fabric - but maybe including "DIVORCE" isn't a great idea!!! Lucy x

RunwithSticks

January 12, 2010 at 10:47 PM

That makes me laugh - the first word I saw stick out to me was "divorce". lol I think it would be a great snuggle blanket for the couch for you :)

Holly

January 13, 2010 at 3:38 AM

OH MY WORD I love those spiderweb blocks so so so much! They're perfect!

Do you know where I can get some of that yellow fabric with the trees on it you've used?

Eeek! Love it!

~holly

Minka

January 17, 2010 at 4:11 PM

I love black, too. I would wear it every day for weeks at a time if I could. In part, it's the convenience of how it goes with everything.

But that's not the whole of it. Black makes other colors pop. It also allows us to discover that there are many shades of black and once you go there, you start to see other colors in new ways.

I think it's important for you to make something YOU love. I agree with others, that in time, your family my reconsider how they feel about black. But I would not engage in the debate while do my creative thing.

It's so hard to get rid of all the critics whether they are inside or outside of us. Try to have fun with every block and for the time being, maybe you should take a break from asking their opinions. Get your support elsewhere.