Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




International Traveller Block Tutorial

March is my month for sending out my fabrics for the bumblebees, part of Bee Europa. Since March is also my birthday month I thought why not use this opportunity to try and get some more of this quilt made!

I am going to ask my fellow bumblebees to make this block.




From what I can see a 4 patch version of this block is called Arkansas Traveller. Well since this is a nine patch variation which I fudged I am going to call it the International Traveller block.

It really isn't as complicated as it seems. I have sent each of them the fabric and templates for the block. But for those of you afraid of templates I also worked out the measurements so you can cut the pieces with your rotary cutter too.

For each block you need to make 9 small blocks.
For each small block (you need 9)

Cut 2 rectangles from black fabric measuring 2" x 2.25"
Cut 2 rectangles of coloured fabric measuring 2" x 4.5"
Cut 1 strip of newspaper fabric measuring 1.5" x 4.5"

Black Fabric



Take one black rectangle and mark a point 0.5" away from the end along one of the 2.25" sides. Mark another point 0.5" away from the opposite end along the opposite 2.25" side. Draw a line connecting the marks and cut along this line.

Repeat for your second black rectangle.

Coloured Fabric




Take a coloured rectangle and draw a mark 0.25" from one end along the 2" side of the rectangle. Mark a point 0.25" from the same end on the opposite 2" side. Draw a line connecting the marks.




Mark a dot 1.25" from the edge along this line on both sides. Draw a line connecting these marks with the bottom corners as shown in the diagram.




Use your ruler to cut 0.25" away from these lines as shown in the diagram.

Sew Together




Make nine of these small blocks and then sew them together to make one large block.

Hope that makes sense! If you have any questions please ask!

Comments (5)

One Flew Over

February 26, 2010 at 10:31 PM

I'm also a March girl ;)

Really loving this block, looking forward to seeing it completed.

Purple Paisley Patch

February 26, 2010 at 11:20 PM

Love this block. Reminds me of butterflies. :-)

dickespaulinchen

February 27, 2010 at 9:36 AM

I've a not-finished Quilt in this pattern, sewn after a japanese crafting book. Love this pattern!
Hope it will be finished one day...

Pink Stitches

February 28, 2010 at 4:23 PM

This comment has been removed by the author.

Pink Stitches

February 28, 2010 at 10:57 PM

This comment has been removed by the author.