Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




Loopy for Lines

I am always on the lookout for inspiration for quilting. I think it is definitely the area of quilting that I give the least attention. I spend 90% of my time making blocks and piecing tops together. Now I want to try and concentrate more on the quilting and how to get most out of my patchwork designs with the quilting.

I am really digging straight line quilting at the moment. Especially horizontal and vertical lines.



I saw this quilt yesterday from la vida compartida. And I just adore it! The quilt itself is fabulous. The mix of different size rectangles and the splattering of applique circles keeps your eye moving around the quilt. But what is really fantastic is the quilting. All straight lines, but in some sections the lines are horizontal and in others the lines are vertical. In some sections the lines are close together and in other sections the lines are further apart. Genius!!!!!

I am already thinking which quilt I can use this type of quilting design on!!! What is even better with a design like this is that it should be "relatively" easy to quilt a large quilt on my small machine in this way.

What quilting designs have inspired you recently?

And remember this tutorial - look at these fabulous blocks!


This one is by Little Miss Shabby. Wonderfully pink for the breast cancer awareness cause.


And this by Lizziwhizz. Makes me want to make an entire hummingbird quilt!

Fabulous blocks by fabulous ladies. Has anybody else made a block? Let me know please I just love seeing how this block looks in different fabric combinations.

Comments (6)

Anonymous

February 17, 2010 at 3:48 PM

I love straight line quilting too, just click on your seam guide and go, very therapuetic I find.
Though I prefer to grid quilt by going widthways and then crossways too. Not only is it really easy but it gives a super simple contrast to all the piecing and fabric patterns going on in the quilt.

Loving the new blog look!!!!
Can't believe you are in EIGHT!!!!! bees!!!!!!!!!!

Tacha

February 17, 2010 at 6:12 PM

lol Aneela! Yep 8! I got a bit over excited and just couldn't say no! But actually about 4 of them have finished or have 1 month left!

Locket Pocket

February 18, 2010 at 9:12 PM

I was thinking about how to quilt my Christmas-y zig-zag quilt this evening and remembered glancing at your post in Google Reader this morning and seeing you mention quilting in straight lines - so now I'm wondering whether this might be the perfect solution! Thank you! Lucy x

RosaMarĂ­a

February 19, 2010 at 7:07 PM

such beautiful blocks! my sister is so happy with that quilt, thanks for the link!

Little Miss Shabby

February 28, 2010 at 2:27 PM

Woohoo!--Thanks so much for posting my block. =) I loved the tutorial you made for this block from the minute I saw all of your lovely blocks posted over in the quilting bees group. Just a wonderful block. =)

MamaDaniel

December 2, 2010 at 1:29 AM

awesome.. love the pink block so much!! :)