It might not look as cute as the horses in the book, but I think Hanna will be pretty pleased with it! I decided in the end to ignore all the lines on the pattern pieces and just sew where I thought it needed to be sewn. It worked, but the horse definitely has a few problems. Still now I actually have a completed horse I feel much better and will probably go back over the "instructions" or lack of them to see if I understand what the heck it was that they wanted me to do!
My little Amelie also caught onto what I was doing and recognised the monkeys as I was cutting the pieces out. She immediately started to draw monkey faces, which were much better than mine. So I cut out a piece of fabric for her monkey's face and armed her with a fabric marker and this is what she came up with. Very cute, I think but then I am somewhat biased!
This is Hanna's.
I think I will get Amelie to do all the faces from now on.