Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




WIP - Stash Organisation

This could take me some time. I am in the process of moving my stash from our bedroom to the spare room upstairs as it has slowly been taking over our bedroom. Our room has turned into a health hazard when the lights are out as we keep tripping over boxes of fabric!

So I thought I might as well organise myself a bit during the move. Usually when I start a project I turn all the fabric out all over the place looking for the right pieces of fabric that go together. It then takes me forever to put it all away again. It dawned on me that it would be much better to have a file with samples of all my fabrics in it, that I could peruse to my heart's content when starting a new project.

This is the form I came up with.



I can record what the fabric is called, who makes it, where I bought it, how much it cost, how much I have, what I plan to do with it and most importantly where I have stashed it! In the square on the left hand side I plan to pin a small sample of the fabric. I want to pin the samples so I can take them out when planning a project and see how the fabrics work together.


This is the snazzy file I made to keep all these forms in.


I sewed the pieces in place using running stitch and then fused the front to a card file. Finally I topstitched to keep in place.





If you would like to use this form you can download it here.

Now to tackle the next box of fabrics! It keeps me busy while I think about what to print with my gocco!

Comments (13)

Unknown

January 28, 2009 at 12:08 PM

oh wow - you are so good, that is the most organised system I have ever seen!!!!

Anonymous

January 28, 2009 at 1:24 PM

Why is blogger so evil? I'm trying to tell you how brillant you are for coming up with such a rad system, but blogger won't let me comment...
Oh, and I'm so jealous of your stash! Can't wait until I need a system to organize mine!

Unknown

January 28, 2009 at 2:19 PM

This is an awesome organization system. You must have way more fabrics (and patience) than I do.. LOL. I have mine just stacked on a bookshelf in my sewing room. :) This is a very cool system, though!

Beth

January 28, 2009 at 3:10 PM

Wow, that sounds like a good system! Good luck getting everything moved. Maybe you will get inspired by going through your fabric again!

RunwithSticks

January 28, 2009 at 5:09 PM

That is an awesome system! Question though - what about prints with really large designs on them... I guess you would just have to pull the fabric out from where it has been stashed. Answering my own questions - lol. I might have to set up something similar for all my knitting scraps!

Vegan_Noodle

January 28, 2009 at 5:16 PM

What a fun way to organize all of your fabric! I can tell that I am going to need to tackle this project someday soon...

Anonymous

January 29, 2009 at 11:23 AM

Wow you are organised! I have way too much fabric to do this with! I used to have my fabric organised in order of size and colour, but then we redecorated the room it was in, and the fabric got put back anywhere it would fit! (not a good system!).

Christina Lowry

January 30, 2009 at 7:45 AM

Wow, what a great idea! I also wish I had enough fabric that I needed to organise it, but maybe I should start now so it's not such a big job later?! As now the collection has started it is addictive isn't it! I will be showing my mum your post too, as she has hordes of fabric that are currently just sorted into colours.

Purple Paisley Patch

January 31, 2009 at 2:06 PM

Great idea - thanks for sharing the form!

Anonymous

February 1, 2009 at 5:11 PM

Aren't you clever. I just staple bits into a journal I carry around in my bag. This is fabulous and I love your new binder.

Mrs Moog

February 2, 2009 at 3:19 PM

What fantastic organisation! When you've finished yours maybe you could pop over here and organise mine too?!!

:-)

xxx

Locket Pocket

February 3, 2009 at 11:36 AM

I absolutely LOVE that idea!!!! It's the kind of organisation I dream of - especially little squares of pretty fabric! I absolutely adore the felt swatch cards you can get - I'd like to just frame them!

It must be something to do with blocks of colour. When I had some water colour lessons a couple of years ago I was happiest when painting little squares of colour as I mixed them - so pretty and satisfying!

Lucy x

Blooming Business

February 5, 2009 at 7:20 AM

Ohmigosh. So so organised. But surely you must have mountains of fabric to be see organised... Good luck.