Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




Quilt Festival

Amy from Park City Girl has organised a virtual Quilt Festival! Yippee! I haven't been to a real Quilt Festival for donkey's years so it is so much fun to see everyone participating online.



So we are supposed to choose our favourite quilt and blog about it. Surprise, surprise my favourite quilts are the ones I make for my girls! I couldn't choose just one but instead am going to show you 3! Hope you don't get bored!



The first is a Kaffe Fassett quilt I made for Amelie while she was still in my belly. I knew she was going to be a girl so I chose red, orange and pink. I absolutely adore this quilt even though Amelie ignored it for the first 3 years of her life. But I am pleased to report that it is now her favourite cover for her bed.



Next up is another quilt for Amelie but one I designed myself. Amelie was having problems with her colours. She still does with green and blue but I am pretty sure she isn't colour blind! So anyway, I made this quilt so we could practice recognising colours. At the time her favourite song was "Carola la Caracola" in other words Carola the Snail. So I came up with some little snails and put some velcro on their backs so that she could stick them on the corresponding flower on the quilt. Amelie and Hanna still have great fun with this quilt. Hanna enjoys stealing the snails from Amelie and Amelie enjoys chasing Hanna! Nevermind at least it still gets lots of use!



Finally, there is the number quilt I designed for Hanna. It is supposed to be a garden with different animals hiding behind leaves and flowers. Hanna can play peek-a-boo with the animals and also learn to count.



We hung it in her bedroom but a little bit too high. Next time I have to remember to hang quilts at child level! She can still play with it but has to balance on a stool.




Now go and check out the other quilts. There are some gorgeous ones out there!

Comments (36)

Anonymous

April 18, 2009 at 10:18 AM

Fantastic quilts Tacha. I love them all, but funnily enough I've just got a Kaffe Fasset book out of the library and was admiring that pattern. Great minds eh?

Anyway, love your work, as always :-) I love the learning quilts. The quilt i blogged about was kind of a learning one, Cameron was practising his colours on it. I guess i just have to make another one :-)

Anonymous

April 18, 2009 at 10:32 AM

Love your quilts Tacha, especially the colour combination of the first one. It is a combination I have been wanting to try out for myself.

Tracey

April 18, 2009 at 10:35 AM

I love the snails!

Anonymous

April 18, 2009 at 1:18 PM

I've never been to a "real" quilt festival. I think I should.
You're so talented, Tacha! I think all three of them are gorgeous, but I especially love how you made those two to be so whole-learning-loving. You're such an inspiration.

And that's so cute about your mother & the wings! I really think it's sweet that she makes that effort - my mil still can't manage to remember my birth country or my birthday (the day before hers!).

A Spoonful Of Sugar

April 18, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Your Kaffe Fassett inspired quilt is sobright and cheerful - no wonder your daughter loves it!

Zonnah

April 18, 2009 at 4:46 PM

I LOVE the snail quilt! I may have to make something like that for my little one :)

Locket Pocket

April 18, 2009 at 4:47 PM

Those quilts are all adorable! Especially the two you designed yourself - so clever! Lucy x

Mushyhed

April 18, 2009 at 6:24 PM

Great quilts Tacha! Love the color combo on the Fassett quilt!

Anonymous

April 18, 2009 at 6:49 PM

That flower quilt is amazing! You good mommy you!

I just saw this virtual quilting bee this morning. Might have to get it together.

Kerri

April 18, 2009 at 7:10 PM

such lovely quilts!! i love the numbers and bugs one!!

Unknown

April 18, 2009 at 9:43 PM

What beautiful quilts! So unique and creative. Those will be hand me downs for generations I suspect. Well done!!

Kitty

April 18, 2009 at 10:07 PM

Those quilts are seriously gorgeous ... I do so admire your talent. x

Marit

April 18, 2009 at 10:45 PM

It's not easy choosing just one! Lovely quilts, and those hexagons really caught my eyes .... I may have to try some, too. Thank you for a nice visit, too
; )

Kritta22

April 19, 2009 at 12:33 AM

So cute!!

You are so creative!

Jocelyn

April 19, 2009 at 3:27 AM

What absolutely adorable quilts. I love each one of them. Thanks for sharing.

Christina Lowry

April 19, 2009 at 7:54 AM

I can see why you couldn't pick just one! I'm sure there are many others that are just as beautiful and well thought out as these three. I really love the last one! What a fantastic idea. :)

Aunt Spicy

April 19, 2009 at 1:56 PM

Wow! Those are all such beautiful quilts! I love that you designed the flowers and the garden quilts for helping your girls....they will really treasure them!

leanne

April 19, 2009 at 3:11 PM

i love the idea of an interactive quilt for kids. I've been looking and thinking about making a similar quilt, something cute and visually exciting while stimulating and fun at the same time. thanks for blogging about your creations!

Minka

April 19, 2009 at 3:29 PM

All 3 of these happy quilts are great but as I scrolled down the page, I fell deeper in love. Those embroidered ladybugs, caterpillars, etc are just too cute! I love the interactive aspect of the last 2 quilts! They remind me of Eric Carle's hungry caterpillar. The flowers in the second quilt are grand!

Unknown

April 19, 2009 at 7:44 PM

Oh I love orange. It's just a yummy color and makes such a happy statement.
You do beautiful work.

shellysquilts

April 19, 2009 at 11:28 PM

Very cute stuff! I luv all 3. Well done!

stitchinpenny

April 20, 2009 at 3:28 PM

Lots of beautiful quilts. they are great.

Sandra

April 20, 2009 at 5:05 PM

Das quilts es gut (sorry for the poor german) but thought I'd try.
Love the colors on the Kaffe quilt-a very antique Pennsylvania quilt palette.

Come see my favorites
#211 Sandra Starley -petroglyph rock art quilt
#216 Utah Quilt Appraiser-antique quilts

Tami @ Lemon Tree Tales

April 20, 2009 at 5:19 PM

Wow! What adorable learning quilts. I love the snails and flowers!!

Elise

April 20, 2009 at 8:46 PM

Love the quilts. Your post has given me an idea...I'm going to need a crash course in sewing first though! xx

Kim

April 21, 2009 at 2:21 AM

I can see why the quilts for your girls are favorites. Adorable! No wonder you couldn't choose one :-) They're all beautiful.

Ilena

April 21, 2009 at 3:47 AM

What beautiful quilts ~ lucky girls!

Sharon

April 21, 2009 at 5:21 AM

What clever, cute quilts you've made for your girls! And isn't it nice that they enjoy using them? I love them all!

em's scrapbag

April 21, 2009 at 4:09 PM

Your quilts are so creative.

Unknown

April 21, 2009 at 5:04 PM

Such creative quilts! I love them all :) Thank you for sharing them all!

Anonymous

April 22, 2009 at 4:22 AM

Those are all so cute and fresh in their different ways!

Andi

April 22, 2009 at 12:40 PM

I like them all but especially love the first one.
so fresh and vibrant.
Lovely!!

Anya

April 23, 2009 at 11:03 PM

Not bored at all. Your quilts are so happy!

Rhonda

April 24, 2009 at 2:44 AM

I love your quilts and wasn't boring one bit...great job!

duckyhouse

April 25, 2009 at 7:25 PM

wonderful quilts again...good mumma :) those snails are too cute!

SewCalGal

April 28, 2009 at 9:34 AM

Beautiful quilts. Great use of color & design. I love it. You did a great job!

Thanks for sharing!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com