Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




Row Robin Swap

A long long time ago I signed up for a swap where each person makes a row for everybody else's quilt. We started by making the first row of our own quilts and then posted this to the next person who would add a row and so on. At the end we should all get a quilt back with 6 rows made by 6 different people.

So the theory goes anyway. So far this has been a swap of mixed feelings for me. At the very beginning I just could not decide what I wanted for my row. Did I want a theme? Would that end up too twee? Did I want houses? But then what would I do with it when finished? Finally I decided to use my feathered friends fabric and make "Spring Twirls". I slaved over the blocks to get all my points lined up and everything perfect. Then I sent it off bang on the deadline to the next on the list.

And I heard nothing. Not a peep. After a few emails and a few weeks, I finally heard from that she had received my blocks and had been out of town but had been working on the row. She would post them to the next person on next Wednesday. Great I thought. Phew I am glad my work was not lost.

Then I heard nothing. No photos in flickr, no email. The next on the list had not received my row. This is over a month ago. So I sent another email asking that she just post my original work either back to me or to the next on the list. Again nothing.

Now I am resigned to the fact that my work is lost. But I have to say it makes me sooooo mad. It is one thing to not follow through with a swap you have signed up for but quite another not to return somebody's work to them. I really am extremely annoyed.

Anyway, I had agreed with Carrie (the person sending to me) that she should wait until she had a few rows together before posting to me. I was going to be on holiday and it made more sense for her to mail everything together when I got back. And true to word when I got back from the UK in May a package was waiting for me with 3 rows!

Carrie is using this quilt as inspiration. She wanted a row with a single flower. Sorry for the appalling photo but I was in such a rush to get this finished and into the post.



I found it quite a challenge to make this row. Working on such a scale was hard to get the overall picture of how the block would turn out and also to make sure everything was lined up etc. I have no long rulers which made it particularly hard!

Bobbi wanted a row using kelly green and mid blue. Angela had already made wonky log cabins and Carrie had made a row with squares and rectangles so I added some zig zags.



Angela wanted something circular if possible. She had already started her quilt with a fantastic double wedding ring and Carrie had made some great wheels for the second row. I decided to do some drunkard path circles. This time my calculations were way off and I have ended up with about a trillion spare circles! I think I will make a mini quilt out of those!



Finally as I know I will never see my twirls again, I decided to redo my row. This time I just chose the colours red, white and aqua and the theme anything goes.




Since the next on the list had flaked I felt some pressure to whip out these rows as quick as I could so that Melissa (the last on the list) could finally have something to work on. She was yet to receive a single row.

Unfortunately, after 10 days of solidly sewing, my machine and I were not on speaking terms and my row is not as well made as I would have liked (which is why I only have photos of a couple of the blocks). Not a lot of the points ended up lined up. But you know at this point I just thought bugger it. Sorry but that's how I felt. Now the whole lot is posted off I feel a bit better and once the dust settles might have another bash at both Carrie's flower and my row. But I repeat "might".

Now I am enjoying a break as I only have one row left to do!

Comments (12)

Christina Lowry

June 15, 2009 at 1:32 PM

It is terrible that that person hasn't even gotten back to you. I hope that your work might just turn up one day, fingers crossed. Your other pieces are looking great, especially the circles! I think they would make a great mini quilt.
:)

A Spoonful Of Sugar

June 15, 2009 at 3:28 PM

What a disappointing experience. In general I have found bloggers to be an amazing group of people. For these type of swaps to be successful though everyone has to give it their best. I love the work you ahve done - a great opportunity to work with different techniques. I particularly love your circles.

Anonymous

June 15, 2009 at 4:05 PM

What a rip-off - I would also be so angry! I mean, it's yours, and it's part of you. For the person to not just return it or to send it on to the next is just selfish and childish, really. I'm so sorry - I totally understand feeling bitter.

Barb

June 15, 2009 at 4:52 PM

Sorry for such a terrible experience. But your work on everyone else's quilts is just stunning! I love the blue/green zig zag and of course the circles. Can't wait to see more of these quilts. Oh, I just mailed your daughter's t-shirt last week...life has been crazy, but please reassure her that it is in the mail!

Anonymous

June 15, 2009 at 5:53 PM

Isn't it a tragedy when your so-called relaxing hobbies get so pitifully stressy! And to top it all off mr sewing machine is misbehaving too, you poor thing!!!

RunwithSticks

June 15, 2009 at 7:10 PM

How infuriating about your row. I'm angry for you. It's just plain rude to join something, not participate, then not send back someone's work. I'm so sorry to hear of this. Your blocks, as always, are gorgeous.

Unknown

June 15, 2009 at 9:02 PM

I (also in the swap) agree with your frustrations and mixed feelings. I haven't heard anything about my row (the wizard of oz) in several weeks. Because we are now one person shy in my smaller group, I don't have any rows currently in my possession. It seems to me like this all started out with the best intentions, but things just fell apart.

Anonymous

June 16, 2009 at 11:14 AM

I totally understand your frustrationa dn disappointment. I think it sucks, the least she could do is mail it back to you !!!

I'm about to start my first round robin, I hope it goes okay.

I love all your work. You should def make a mini quilt with the drunkards circles, they are so cute.

jmb_craftypickle

June 17, 2009 at 3:10 AM

That stinks! Sour milk!

I am glad that you restarted, your new start is just beautiful!

Dianah

June 19, 2009 at 7:38 PM

I understand where you are at. I did a simular thing with a scrapbooking group, twice! Both times I lost all my work. It seems like it is always one person that is not well known by the group the work gets lost.

I hope your row and fabrics get back to you.

Lisa

June 20, 2009 at 6:28 AM

Hi Natasha,Im so glad you like your quilt.I was going to do hexagon flowers, as I saw you like them, but I just didnt have the confidence....so I made yoyo's instead.Did I forget to give you my email address lydia.nz.00@gmail.com Please email me, Id love to hear from you.Im so glad your little girl like the doll....My eldest daughters name is Natasha. Take care Lisa

Angela

August 14, 2009 at 11:18 PM

I hadn't read this post of yours yet, but I have to say that you described our little group perfectly. It's so frustrating that she flaked out on us and particularly that she blatantly stole your work. Grr...

But of course, I'm thrilled that I'm the lucky one who gets your lovely row of circles. Woohoo!