The theme for June's STUD swap was texture. I originally had plans of trying smocking or tucking or gathering, but these quickly fizzled out as my first attempt just looked a mess and I was running out of time.
Instead I decided to try a technique that I have had in the back of my mind for ages. I got the idea from this book (can't remember now if I bought it or if it was a gift).
What I did was take a piece of plain fabric and cover it with fusible webbing and then stick lots of scraps on top until the fabric is covered. After ironing in place I then used my machine to sew all over the fabric to secure. I used both running stitch and some of the decorative stitches my machine has.
Then I cut it up and made this quilt.
Adding in a bit of ric rac some and some buttons for a bit of extra texture.
Susi (my STUD partner) sent me a wonderful quilt.
See the shell in the net, all the bubble buttons and the mendocino mermaid. Isn't it great! Thank you so much Susi.
Amelie says a big thank you for all your well wishes (and I do too!). She has decided she wants to stay at home until the plaster comes off. So she is now my official sewing helper!