Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




Snail Quilt


So I finally finished the snail quilt. Initially I wanted to make a tree with each branch for the different colour and number of snails. But I thought that might be too confusing for Amelie and Hanna. Instead I think that individual flowers for each colour snail is much clearer for them. Here is a picture of the quilt without snails. Each leaf has a piece of velcro to attach the snail to. I free motion quilted all around the flowers to make it a bit sturdier for all the pulling of snails on and off the quilt. I also sewed veins on the leaves to make sure they were better attached to the quilt top so as withstand the vigours of my two little girls.

Today was the perfect day to test drive the quilt. It was wet and miserable and Amelie had great fun with the snails. We put all the snails in place not once, or twice but three times.


Here is another picture with all the snails in their rightful places.

Comments (5)

Tina

August 12, 2008 at 9:24 PM

You are a great mom! I bet your kids love it!

Tina

August 13, 2008 at 4:28 PM

I've done a test print before, screenprinting on a flat and cushioned surface. I didn't notice a difference. I did print on the cushioned board I made, but I was also printing with a new screen, so I'm not sure if it made a difference. I love being able to pin the fabric down. I tried spray adhesive, didn't like it.

Tina

August 15, 2008 at 8:01 PM

I squeegeed the filler on. Next time I'll definately paint a 2nd (maybe a 3rd) coat on. It was coming off while I was printing. I did use organza for mesh. Maybe it doesn't adhere to organza well.

Tina

August 18, 2008 at 5:55 AM

I'm back. Are you sick of me yet?

I passed on an award to you. If your interested in playing along, visit my blog.

A Spoonful Of Sugar

August 20, 2008 at 12:29 AM

Love those snail quilt - it turned out so well - what a great original idea! Fun and educational. Thanks for the award :)