So I finally finished the snail quilt. Initially I wanted to make a tree with each branch for the different colour and number of snails. But I thought that might be too confusing for Amelie and Hanna. Instead I think that individual flowers for each colour snail is much clearer for them. Here is a picture of the quilt without snails. Each leaf has a piece of velcro to attach the snail to. I free motion quilted all around the flowers to make it a bit sturdier for all the pulling of snails on and off the quilt. I also sewed veins on the leaves to make sure they were better attached to the quilt top so as withstand the vigours of my two little girls.
Today was the perfect day to test drive the quilt. It was wet and miserable and Amelie had great fun with the snails. We put all the snails in place not once, or twice but three times.
Here is another picture with all the snails in their rightful places.