Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




Fasching

Today Amelie is celebrating Fasching at her Kita. All the kids get to go in costume. So I have been asking Amelie for weeks what she would like to go as. "Noffin" was her response. And I believed her. Last year she refused point blank to wear either the bee or princess outfits that I rustled together for her at the last minute (as I had no idea what Fasching entailed!)

Then on Sunday night my "helpful" husband suggested she goes as a giraffe. A giraffe. I ask you. Of all the animals that are easy to whip up in a few minutes a giraffe does not spring to mind. But little Amelie agreed enthusiastically and went to bed.

Nevermind I thought. She will have forgotten by the morning and I can still just put her in a dress and call her a princess on Tuesday. I asked her again on Monday morning what she wanted to be and she just shrugged me off with that selective deafness that kids can get.

Yay I thought. That was a close one. Until I got to Kita and she excitedly began telling all her friends that she was going to dress up as a giraffe at Fasching.

Gulp!

This is what I came up with. Shockingly badly put together so don't look closely. In fact it is better if you squint your eyes when you look at it. But you know what, I don't care. It came together in 1 hour while making tea and Amelie was ecstatic. So now fingers crossed it lasts the day!



Should you want to make a mask too, I used this here. Made it a bit larger and cut it out adding seam allowance. Sewed brown patches on. Sandwiched a bit of interfacing in the middle to make the mask a bit stiffer. Knocked a couple of eyelets in the sides. Cut the eyes out and tied some elastic through the eyelets.

Comments (11)

Anonymous

February 24, 2009 at 11:52 AM

She looks so sweet. I think she makes a perfect Giraffe!

Sorry for infiltrating your blog but wasn't sure if you were still on your old T-mobile email. Would love to catch up at some point. Am sure you're mad busy but need some of your advice on marathons and of course the girls presents!

Sending lots of love xxxxx

Kate xxxx

Anonymous

February 24, 2009 at 2:13 PM

I think it's great! Enough of a costume for her to feel dressed up, but not so much that she'll be bothered by long or drapy material.
We're on vacation here so I felt bad for my daughter since she wouldn't be dressing up with her classmates. We will be having a big crêpe dinner tonight.
I need to go check out that mask link...

Anonymous

February 24, 2009 at 5:18 PM

Nice job Mama!

Donna

February 24, 2009 at 7:10 PM

It turned out great! Sometimes I really I am going overboard with my plans and that's why I feel overwhelmed, simple can be satisfying. And if she's like my kids she'll probably shed the mask fairly quickly, but the shirt will still make her feel like a giraffe.

Dallas

February 24, 2009 at 7:37 PM

The costume is really cute. I just visited my first Carnivale this week in Belgium. I'm really impressed with the costumes the kids were wearing - much more impressive than the cheap plastic Halloween costumes in the US.

RunwithSticks

February 24, 2009 at 8:13 PM

Ha! That is so sweet - I'm impressed you made such a great giraffe so quickly :) I take it Fasching is similar to Halloween? I'm off to Google it...

Anonymous

February 24, 2009 at 8:40 PM

Proves yet again where the real talent lies in this family.

Anonymous

February 24, 2009 at 8:44 PM

The rest of the family agree this end - Christopher wants to know how he (read mum) could make a crocodile. Sophie wants to be Wendy from Peter Pan... Ideas welcome (says the person who WON'T bemaking it....)

Kitty

February 24, 2009 at 9:03 PM

It's wonderful ... and the little tail at the back is brilliant. No wonder she's pleased! x

Ann

February 25, 2009 at 3:14 PM

Thanks for visiting my blog and WOW an cute giraffe!

When I get any kids I will sure turn to yo9u to get quick patterns!!

Mrs Moog

February 25, 2009 at 11:12 PM

Well, she looks fantastic and obviously very delighted with her costume! Well done you :-)

xxx