Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




Is there light?

at the end of the tunnel. I sure hope so. These last 10 days have been trying. My husband was off at a wedding in Chile and we decided since we had just been that I should stay home with the kids. Neither of our girls qualify as good sleepers at the best of times so the last 10 days has been spent bed hopping and trying to avoid mentioning Papa in front of them!

To make matters worse, all the teeth in Hanna's mouth have decided to try and push through her gums agonisingly slowly. Her gums are so red and swollen. Poor little mite. Then yesterday she suddenly got a fever out of the blue and started shaking so much I was afraid she was going to go into convulsions. I had them when I was little so I whisked her off to the Doctor. He was so blase about the whole thing.

Yeah, it will probably happen. He told me.
OK so what do I do? Strip clothes off, sponge down with warm water, call the ambulance?
Not a lot you can do, was his very helpful response.

Why do these things always happen when I am alone? I have good friends here but they all have little ones too and can't easily drop things to help me out especially in the middle of the night.

Add to this the fact that it snowed again and I seem to have lost my ability to sew, seams don't line up. Nothing is coming out the way I picture it. I have been quite down.

I am supposed to be finished with my row for my Round Row Quilt. But b****r me if I can get it right. First off I wanted a woodland theme. Then found out that almost every other person wanted that too. So I thought a garden theme.



There are so many wonderful quilts for inspiration. I set about making my row. But it seemed so twee. Perhaps a bit of overdose. Or maybe I just prefer this in a mini quilt.


This is my feeble effort.


Next I thought Houses. I set to work again on a row. I had plans. Big plans involving embroidery, embellishment etc.


This is my row - I even embroidered a cat and dog I was about to embroider a girl walking the dog when I lost my mojo.

Then came the problem of fitting the individual houses together. What colour scheme did I want? Bright in your face. Dull and subdued. What would I do with a huge quilt of this kind at the end? Where would I hang it? Just wasn't feeling it.

So I started cutting up my birdie fabric which I bought on a whim after seeing Katy flashing her stash.



This is where I am at the moment. Although I am having such problems this week with making my points line up. I am about ready to hand in the towel except whatever I decide needs to be posted by Monday.

Comments (8)

Anonymous

March 26, 2009 at 2:40 PM

Oh Tacha I'm so sorry! So much, and being alone makes it 10x worse. My husband has managed to "miss out" on two major scary/icky kid-events (not on purpose mind, he was out of town or at work). Teeth are so difficult, and seizures are scary. Guppy had one from a 41c fever, but she was only 9 months old. Trying to keep the fever down was the best advice I got to ward off future problems, because if it stays down, it'll keep the seizures at bay. Hang in there. I'm sending you solidary and hugs!!

Kitty

March 26, 2009 at 5:31 PM

It is hard, dealing with kids on your own. I really hope your little one's teeth settle down - it can make them SO miserable :-(

For what it's worth - I think all that piecing is pretty darned fabulous.

x

Unknown

March 26, 2009 at 7:51 PM

G had fits as a toddler, so I can feel your pain. The best advice - whenever she starts to get a temperature dose her up with paracetamol, and keep her dosed up, give her plenty of fluids to drink, or ice lollies to suck on - they work wonders, and are a treat too, keep her in loose, cool clothing, don't wrap her up at night too much - it's best if she keeps cool and wakes up cold than too hot and ends up fitting in her sleep. And if she does have a fit - lay her on the floor, with a pillow under her head, loosen her clothes and keep talking softly to her until it stops. They are the most frightening things in the world, but are rarely serious. It's just the body's way of cooling down. I also think you'll find that daddies are far less likely to be calm in a crisis when their baby girls are sick. My husband used to panic no end - nature kicks in and mummies turn into lionesses, in a crisis...just remember, it's us that has to go through the pregnancies, the births, most of the sleepless nights and most of the tough stuff, and we always seem to forget how much work it is once the particular phase has passed. You can do it - keep strong xxx

As for your blocks - well, all of them are amazing, so which ever you choose to send will look fabulous!!!

Christina Lowry

March 27, 2009 at 3:43 AM

What a week you have had Natasha! It makes such a huge difference when there are another set of hands, even if only of a night time. Poor Hanna, as you know, Cohen has started teething too, and he sends Hanna a big hug and I send you a big hug too! Yesterday I was so stressed, trying to comfort the fussy teething baby and when hubby got home I bit his head off!

I think your blocks look fantastic, I especially love the birdie fabric. Take care :)

Anonymous

March 27, 2009 at 9:12 AM

Oh Tacha, there is light, but it's hard to see it when you're just worn out. It's hard parenting all on your own, and worse with sick kids. Hugs, hope it gets better soon.

RunwithSticks

March 27, 2009 at 7:22 PM

I'm so sorry things are so tough right now. It always seems to hit too when we are running the home solo. Hugs to you from across the net. Be easy on yourself, and take things one day at a time.

Carrie

March 27, 2009 at 7:59 PM

Don't give up on your row! I'm really excited to work on your quilt. I'm sure whatever you decide will work out wonderfully!

Anonymous

March 29, 2009 at 7:40 PM

I know how you feel. I have to spend weeks at a time along with my boy.

Fevers actually aren't all bad, they help build the immune system, but they are scary.

I love Katy's fabric and am off to see if she has plans for us all or if it's a free for all!

Hope you are seeing the light!