Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




Nettie's Block

March is also the month for Nettie in the Cottage quilting bee. She sent me a lovely selection of fabrics in orange, pale blue and brown. She wanted blocks of varying size from 14" to 8" and was not fussed as to what we made although she did tell us that she was into improv blocks at the moment.

This was the first 10" block I came up with.



I added in the solid brown and the blue circles (which are Timeless Treasure from goodness knows when, they have been in my stash for donkey's years). Really the motifs on the fabric dictated this block to me. I was also inspired by these blocks by Film in the Fridge.

When cutting the squares for the block above it suddenly dawned on me to do some circles. I have made a few circle quilts and have always liked the results. They are not difficult. Partly because the way I do it is not supposed to give you results that are perfectly lined up! As you can see in this block the centre circle is a little off. But I think it makes quite an effective block.



If anyone is interested I could show you how I do it. Just leave me a comment.

The block itself ended up just a tick over 12.5" and I was really reluctant to cut it to 12.5" since that would mean the outside circles would be smaller than the inner circle. Nettie is happy with it as is. So a little bit over 12.5" it stays!

Finally I put together another 10" block from the scraps I had left over from the first two blocks.



This was a LOT of fun! I am really enjoying being a part of a quilting bee. I highly recommend it to anyone interested.

Comments (11)

Anonymous

March 9, 2009 at 7:41 AM

Please, please teach us how to do the circles :-) I need to know how.

Sarah C

March 9, 2009 at 8:39 AM

could you please show us how to do the circles!

They look so intimidating...i've always been a little scared.

Locket Pocket

March 9, 2009 at 12:39 PM

Brilliant blocks! I'd love to know how to do the circles!

Lucyx

Kitty

March 9, 2009 at 1:03 PM

They are really lovely blocks - it sounds like fun being a part of the quilting bee. x

Erin

March 9, 2009 at 1:41 PM

I'd also love to know how to make the circles. This project is lovely.

Anonymous

March 9, 2009 at 2:26 PM

These are so lovely! I am in awe of your super-skills, seriously.

Mushyhed

March 9, 2009 at 2:33 PM

I would Love to learn how to do the circles! These blocks are great! The quilting bees are great. I've really enjoyed making my blocks and looking at everyone's creative blocks.

Anonymous

March 10, 2009 at 4:58 PM

These are all awesome! Let's do a circle bee!

Sara

March 10, 2009 at 6:53 PM

Circles? Yes, please share your tips! Thanks.

RunwithSticks

March 10, 2009 at 10:10 PM

These blocks you are making are so great!

Holly

March 12, 2009 at 11:07 AM

I love the colour combinations and what you've done with the blocks - pure genius! Gorgeous!

~Holly

http://twocheeseplease.livejournal.com