Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




Doll Quilt Swap 8

Happy New Year everyone. Hope you all had a terrific Christmas and New Year. We had quite an adventurous time trying to get to the UK. The moment we got out of bed things went wrong. First the taxi didn't arrive to take us to the train station in time for our train so we had to drive to the airport and park in the incredibly expensive car park.

Then just as we had got our coats on and were ready to fight our way to our seats on Ryanair, Hanna fell over and got a nasty gash on her head. The airport first aid team came rushing to our aid (a group of lovely old men with beer bellies and not a single piece of medical equipment) and recommended we didn't fly but instead went straight to the hospital. So Hanna and I were whisked out onto the runway and into an ambulance and taken to the nearest hospital. It was actually quite fun to whizz through the streets in an ambulance (especially as Hanna was not critically hurt). The firemen at the airport gave Hanna a teddy bear so she was having a fabulous time. We were seen very quickly and Hanna was patched up well. Unfortunately though our doctor spoke little or no German which complicated matters especially when he told us we must bring her back into the hospital if she was conscious!

So we rushed back to the airport to try and get on any flight to the UK. I was busy trying to work out how to find a turkey, chicken or any fowl and some presents for the girls as I had thought I was being ultra clever by shopping online and having it all delivered direct to the UK. Amazingly we managed to get on the afternoon flight at no extra charge.

Then the snow came again and the freezing fog set in. Our flight was delayed and delayed and delayed. Eventually we got on the flight and arrived in Stansted after about 12 hours in Berlin airport. And my poor Dad had to travel twice to Stansted to pick us up and got to spend hour and hour waiting for us.



Anyway during our adventures we were interviewed by a local tabloid and had our photos published! Not the most flattering and we all look a little worse for wear but all in all not bad for the day we had been having!

I hope you are all rested and had a wonderful Christmas. I am itching to get back to my sewing machine and have signed up for Doll Quilt Swap 8. Quick go and sign up as it is filling up fast. The sign ups will likely close on Monday.



If you have never taken part before you really should! Such a group of creative and talented quilters. In DQS6 I received this fabulous quilt from Monika.



and I sent this quilt to Susi



In DQS7 I received this amazingly pieced quilt from Brioni



and sent this quilt to Holly



And what's even better is that I have become friends with all of these great quilters and we are continuing to swap our work in other groups. I love it. So quick what are you waiting for???? Go and sign up!

Comments (4)

Marysia

January 3, 2010 at 6:36 PM

What a wonderful swaps!

All the best in the New Year Hanies!

RunwithSticks

January 3, 2010 at 6:52 PM

Looks like a wonderful swap! Once I hone my sewing skills a bit more I'd love to participate. I'll keep watch for swap 9 ;) Sorry to hear about your long trip to the UK, but glad everything worked out :) It was nice to see your post this morning! Hope you've been well :)

Holly

January 3, 2010 at 11:31 PM

Okay so bear with me for a second as I gush.

My lovely DQS7 quilt from you is my ABSOLUTE TO DIE FOR favourite quilt I've received. EVER.

It's also my favourite quilt I've seen in all the mini quilt groups I'm in!

And it's mine! I lovelovelovelove it.

Holly xx

Holly

January 3, 2010 at 11:43 PM

In fact.. ahem... if you ever wanted to do more mini swaps then I would be more than glad!!

Holly xx