Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




All about the block

I've recently been enjoying making more traditional style blocks. I like improvisation and wonky log cabins a lot but sometimes I can't help feeling that the oldies are the goodies. I think sometimes I am put off making more traditional blocks because they are sometimes more complicated to make. Making sure points match up, or using templates seems much more headache than whipping out a log cabin or a group of half square triangles.



I picked up this book a while ago and I just adore browsing through the blocks and imaging them in different fabric combinations. I feel a new quilt coming on every time I flick through.

So when Vanessa from the Another Quilting Bee group asked for a traditional style star I turned immediately to this book.

I really like how it turned out and can't wait to make more of these type blocks!

Comments (6)

highwaycottage

February 5, 2010 at 5:58 AM

That looks like a great book. I've been feeling a bit the same. Stumbled across a book on Japanese quilt blocks yesterday at the book shop, I couldn't resist it so it came home with me today :-)

Anonymous

February 5, 2010 at 12:11 PM

Interesting article you got here. I'd like to read a bit more concerning that theme. The only thing this blog misses is some pictures of any devices.
Jeff Flouee
Cell phone jammers

machen und tun

February 6, 2010 at 10:41 AM

oh that block is pretty!!

Louise

February 6, 2010 at 11:45 AM

That book looks fantastic. I'm also loving all the older style blocks at the moment. Your block looks lovely.

Kitty

February 8, 2010 at 4:49 PM

That looks great - I don't know how you have the patience! x

Tori Rowland

February 9, 2010 at 4:30 AM

Hi there! We love the robot patches! I have a lady who is having me make her twin boys a custom tee....so I am about to order some. I wrote you a note on Etsy too. What comes on each patch? and with the order of 5, can we have different colors or do they all have to be the same? Thanks so much!!!
Tori
iamsewblessedATgmailDOTcom