Fat Quarterly Issue 7 is out now! All about colour palettes and where to find help in choosing colours for your projects.




Lucky Me!

Another round of the doll quilt swap is drawing to an end and wow has it been a fabulous round! This was my first time as a swap mama and I have had a great time! I had a super group of bebes. Thanks guys!

I was again really lucky with my partner. Sandy in Buenos Aires sent me this beauty.
So many tiny details in the house and the fantastic stitching! Thank you so much Sandy!
And look what else she sent! A little bag of basted hexagons all ready to be stitched up!
My partner was Barb (aka Quilting Barbie). It was really fun to make a mini quilt for her as I already know her from Bee Inspired and she was the lovely lady who sent me the West Hill horse fabric which I used for Amelie's horse quilt.
Barb wrote in her preferences that she likes gees bend, aqua and tangerine, birds, trees and circles. So I tried to combine these preferences in one quilt.
I started by piecing together blue strips in a wavy way aka gees bend. To add a bit of contrast I inserted little bits of brown. (Tick Gees Bend ;-) )
Then I added some circle borders in aqua and tangerine. (Tick circles ;-) )
I turned the brown inserts into branches and raw edge appliques leaves and birds. (Tick birds, trees ;-) )
It is fantastic when people have preferences as it gives you something solid to work from. Quilters Preference is always so hard to pinpoint a design! The possibilities are endless!
Now just a couple more quilts to chase up and then my group is done! Now just to count the days until the next round!

Comments (7)

Barb

March 19, 2010 at 2:21 PM

Wow, what a gorgeous quilt you got from Sandy. And thank you again for my lovely quilt - it is perfect!

Helen

March 19, 2010 at 2:54 PM

I am so envious you got this quilt from Sandy! It is just beautiful!!!! The one you made is spot on with all her preferences!

Locket Pocket

March 19, 2010 at 6:23 PM

Both quilts are gorgeous! I'm getting itchy fingers now and want to go and make something! Lucy x

One Flew Over

March 19, 2010 at 9:46 PM

You made a gorgeous quilt Tacha. I must sign up for the next round.

Christina Lowry

March 19, 2010 at 11:08 PM

All the little houses are adorable! And your quilt perfectly ticks all those boxes and looks fantastic too. You are one talented quilter Tasha and I love seeing what you have made, I always pop over when I see in my reader that there is a new Haines blog post. Have I already said I like the new layout and header? I had a play around with those new extra pages for my blog too, but couldn't work out how to do it with my layout! :)

Marysia

March 20, 2010 at 2:09 PM

Lucky you and lucky partner of you!
Both quilts are adorable.

mo

April 3, 2010 at 5:53 AM

I love your little quilt! I especially like how you incorporated the branches and the border of circles. Beautiful!